What is IRS Form 990-N?
IRS Form 990-N, the Electronic Notice (e-Postcard), is an annual information return filed by small nonprofits and tax-exempt organizations with gross receipts less than $50,000.
However, an organization eligible to submit Form 990-N can instead choose to file Form 990 or Form 990-EZ to satisfy its annual reporting requirement.
When is the due date to file a 990-N (e-Postcard)?
Form 990-N must be filed on or before the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of the organization’s accounting period. For organizations operating under the calendar tax year, the due date is May 15.
If the due date falls on weekends or a legal holiday, the 990-N return must be filed by the next business day.
How to E-file Form 990-N?
Form 990-N must be filed electronically, as there is no paper submission.
Choose an IRS authorized e-filing service provider like irs990.org to e-file IRS 990-N return in 3 simple steps.
Simply follow the steps below to complete your filing with the IRS.
- Step 1: Search your organization’s EIN and review filing history.
- Step 2: Select your filing year and review Form 990-N summary.
- Step 3: Pay and transmit your return directly to the IRS.
Once the IRS processes your return, you will get an instant notification about the filing status. In case your return gets rejected, you can fix the error and retransmit it for FREE!
Click here to know the detailed information about the filing of Form 990-N.
Information required to file IRS 990-N
Filing your 990-N (e-Postcard) return is very easy and straightforward. You just need to make sure to provide a few basic information about your organization.
- Employer identification number (EIN), also known as a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).
- Tax year (calendar or fiscal filer)
- Legal name and mailing address
- Organization's mailing address
- Any other names the organization uses
- Name and address of a principal officer
- Website address if the organization has one
- Confirmation that the organization’s annual gross receipts are $50,000 or less
- If applicable, a statement that the organization has terminated or is terminating (going out of business)
What are the late filing penalties for filing the 990-N tax Form?
An organization that fails to file 990-N on time will receive a reminder notice from the IRS to the last address they have on record. Therefore, they must submit the required form, even if they are late; there is no penalty for late submissions.
While there is no penalty assessment for filing Form 990-N late, organizations that fail to file the form for three consecutive years will have their tax-exempt status revoked by the IRS.
Why choose irs990.org to file IRS Form 990-N (e-Postcard)
irs990.org is an IRS authorized e-file service provider that makes the e-filing of 990-N (e-Postcard) return simpler by offering an easy-to-use and streamlined e-filing experience!
With our cloud-based technology, you can access your form 990-N return from anywhere.
Our internal audit feature reviews your form entirely for any errors before you transmit it to the IRS and grants you the
access to fix it.
If you need to correct any information in your 990-N tax form after filing with the IRS, you can also amend it through our Software. Even if your returns are rejected for any reason, you can fix and retransmit them for FREE.
Our US-based customer support team is available via live chat, phone, or email if you need assistance with the